Thursday, August 03, 2006

Some Fancy The Front Porch


The front porch theme seems to be being used, whether free or paid for. Steven Haley seems to have made at least a showing, against Ophelia Ford for state senate district 29. Before tonight I never heard of him. I think he at least earned an honorable mention. Nikki Tinker has used the theme also. Obviously it didn't work for her either. He is running as a Democrat. I can't vote in his district, so I didn't do the research on him. I found it interesting, what he had to say. Even though he didn't win. So I posted this letter.





From Steve Haley
Dear friends:

I was pleased and honored when I read the following editorial endorsement of my District 29 State Senate candidacy in The Commercial Appeal:

State Senate District 29: Ophelia Ford's lone opponent for the nomination this time is Southwest Tennessee Community College professor Stephen Haley, 63, a public campaign financing advocate who is neither accepting contributions nor spending money on his campaign. Because of Haley's involvement in community activities, his progressive approach toward important state and local issues and his strong intellect, The Commercial Appeal strongly recommends STEPHEN HALEY.


Many of you have observed that, in sharp contrast with my candidacy for the this same position in the special election held last summer, my campaign thus far has been largely invisible: no yard signs, no bumper stickers, no newspaper inserts, and no direct-mail pieces in your mail-boxes. Several of you have, in fact, commented that I do not appear "serious" about winning this election.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am deadly serious not only about winning this campaign, but about providing a viable, qualified candidacy for the residents of District 29. My campaign this year is also dedicated to making a statement about the rottenness that is at the core of American politics.


That rot can be described in one word: money. I need not bore you with the details; in America today, elections are not won and lost so much as they are bought and sold. As The Commercial Appeal correctly noted, I am indeed "a public campaign financing advocate"; I believe that both major political parties have been compromised because of their financial dependence upon special interests. And in this particular campaign, I am putting my money (or lack thereof) where my mouth is.


As I have stated clearly in the past, I plan if elected to donate my salary to scholarships for students in my district. And I have pledged in this campaign to spend not a single dollar in my run for office. Campaign-finance reform is a nice idea, but we need more, much more than that to restore real democracy to America. Our political system is broken, and it's time to fix it. We need to close the door to special interests; we need to get the lobbyists out of the Senate chamber and back out into the lobby.

So instead of spending money to get elected, I plan this year to spend time meeting constituents on home turf, so to speak. One hundred and ten years ago, William B. McKinley conducted one of the most unusual Presidential campaigns in American history. Recently retired as Governor of Ohio when he won the Republican nomination, he refused to travel the country seeking votes. Instead, he stayed home in Ohio, giving daily speeches from his front porch. His famous "Front Porch Campaign" was a huge success, as McKinley swept to victory in November, becoming the country's 25th President.

In light of my views on public campaign financing, I'd like you all to become part of my own 2006 "Front Porch Campaign." It won't cost you a dime, but it will give me the opportunity to meet each and every one of you, to tell you more about my views and opinions, and, more importantly, get your input on what issues you think are most critical to us all as Memphians and as residents of the 29th District.

This Sunday the 30th at 5:00 I invite you to attend an old fashioned political rally in my front yard at 1278 Sledge in the Annesdale-Snowden neighborhood just south of Lamar and Bellevue. Lemonade will be served. The theme will be “clean money, clean elections.”

Among those attending and speaking will be Representative John DeBerry, Jr. and Brad Watkins of Democracy for Memphis


This is a very important election, not just for District 29, but for Memphis and Shelby County as a whole. Over the past year, my opponent has spent far too much time in the news, mostly for all the wrong reasons. In light of this, I felt obliged to run again this year, so as to give Democrats in District 29 an alternative to casting ballots for Ophelia Ford.

I believe I am a most viable option. I ask you to consider my qualifications and views on the issues, and compare those to hers. If you feel she is the better-qualified candidate to represent District 29, by all means give her your support on August 3rd. If on the other hand, her continued presence in this race causes you concern, please give serious consideration to my very serious candidacy. .

3 Comments:

Blogger Common said...

The porch didn't work.

1:14 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, nike shoes, red bottom shoes, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley vault, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, true religion outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, ray ban outlet, nike air max, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren, coach outlet store online, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, cheap oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, true religion, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, prada handbags

9:34 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, moncler, louis vuitton canada, montre femme, moncler, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, parajumpers outlet, thomas sabo uk, iphone 6 case, ray ban, lancel, oakley, swarovski jewelry, supra shoes, moncler, louboutin, uggs canada, coach outlet, swarovski uk, wedding dress, ugg, canada goose, baseball bats, canada goose, timberland shoes, replica watches, pandora jewelry, gucci, moncler, converse shoes, air max, karen millen, hollister clothing, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, hollister canada, vans, converse, links of london uk, nike air max, moncler, toms outlet, canada goose uk

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home