Thursday, March 15, 2007

Perceived Police Brutality

I say perceived because we still don't have all the facts. A rush to judgement has always proven to be detrimental. Especially if you are one concerned with facts and not just emotions. Remember the shooting in New York in November, on the eve of the grooms wedding. There hasn't been much buzz surrounding that story lately. The flag flew up for me when Al Sharpton was summoned before there was an investigation. What happened to extinguish that raging fire. I thought the citizens of New York were ready to remove the whole police department. In most cases when the police are involved you get two stories. I have discovered that it usually pays to wait until the facts are available.

Which brings me to a local incident that took place in Millington. Let me first say I do not condone abuse of power by police on any level. I am aware that we do have crooked police, but not nearly as many as we do good ones. Having said that, I don't want to tie the policeman's hands either. Let's not render the police ineffective against criminals in expectation of a law abiding citizens rights being violated. We must allow them to be a show of force. A steady hand in the midst of instability. In the absence of conformity we have chaos.

This story has taken on so many twists I don't know who to believe. This is the first story I read: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5402170,00.html.
Before I could let that sink in I read this: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5404735,00.html
Both articles raise as well as answer some important questions for me. In order to be fair I'll just say "You live by the sword, you'll die by the sword". That goes for both sides.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blinders Off said...

Common,

I hope you had a chance to read my very long comment before I deleted it. If you didn't let me know and I will email it to you. Also, the following links is the latest information about the New York Case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20070315/pl_usnw/statement_of_congressman_gregory_w__meeks_regarding_the_new_witness_in_the_sean_bell_shooting


http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/15/nypd.shooting.ap/index.html

9:08 AM  
Blogger Common said...

Blinders Off,

I didn't get to read the post. Why did you take it down? I'm sure it made great conversation. All I have is subjective information. I wouldn't even pretend to know what you as a resident knows.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Blinders Off said...

I took it down because it was very long and revealed a little to much. Look for my letter to the CA editor in response to a letter a Memphis resident wrote. It should appear tomorrow or Sunday.

As an activist out here you have no idea how much I know. The last thing the Millington PD needed or wanted was for Malcom Carruthers to die.

I agree with you about waiting for the final investigation to determine the cause of his death, but what took place at city hall was appropriate timing to put the Mayor and Police Chief on notice. Black and White residents are tired of the dynamics of the police department. The department have major problems that can no longer be ignored.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Common said...

Blinders Off,

E-mail me the comment if you have it still.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Blinders Off said...

There were some people picketing today in Millington about what happened to Malcom Carruthers. I couldn't read exactly what the signs said, but I did see the words MURDERERS and INJUSTICE.

It is premature to do what they are doing. I also know they were not part of the group who asked me to sit in on a meeting. It appears someone is trying to stir the pot when all the facts are not in. There are serious problems with the Police Department and it will all come out in the light soon. Where are the people when it is a Mayor and Alderman Board meeting? I am hearing this group is from Memphis my source will be letting me know for sure tomorrow.

Email is on the way.

9:22 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, coach purses, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, nike shoes, red bottom shoes, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley vault, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, true religion outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, ray ban outlet, nike air max, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren, coach outlet store online, nike air max, tiffany jewelry, cheap oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, true religion, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, prada handbags

12:29 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, canada goose, rolex watches, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, new balance outlet, instyler ionic styler, ugg boots, reebok shoes, roshe run, uggs on sale, ghd, north face jackets, nike huarache, valentino shoes, vans outlet, ugg outlet, p90x workout, ugg soldes, mont blanc pens, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, ferragamo shoes, longchamp, nfl jerseys, asics shoes, mac cosmetics, bottega veneta, north face outlet, herve leger, birkin bag, wedding dresses, insanity workout, soccer shoes, soccer jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, nike trainers, canada goose outlet, babyliss pro, canada goose outlet, hollister, jimmy choo shoes, uggs outlet, ugg, mcm handbags

12:41 AM  
Blogger xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20161121 junda
michael kors uk
beats by dr dre
moncler coats
moncler jackets
herve leger outlet
coach outlet clearance
oakley sunglasses wholesale
lacoste pas cher
coach outlet canada
kate spade handbags

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home