Monday, June 16, 2008

This Weekend I Became A Fan

I discovered something that's been under my nose all the time. I went and watched a tournament last Friday out at Cordova CC, and I must say I have been bitten by the golf bug. To make it even better. I had the chance to watch probably the greatest match of all time this weekend. Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate Though I haven't watched the sport for the last forty something years. I feel like it was well worth the wait. Tiger Woods is phenomenal. He is probably as good as a human can be, only being outdone by a robot. Even then you might be inclined to take your chances with Tiger. He did what ever was required at the time it was needed to win the 108th 2008 United States Golf Open Championship.

Even though Tiger Woods won in a nineteen hole, sudden death, four day nail biter. His competition was equally impressive. Against any other golfer in the world Rocco Mediate would have won today. Heck, he would have won it yesterday. He made one bogey on the fifteenth hole yesterday that gave Tiger the opening he needed. Today he did the same thing on the eighteenth hole. That left the door open once again. It was almost like he had a fear of winning. He couldn't imagine beating Tiger Woods. He believed the hype, which turned out unfortunately for him to be true. Otherwise we may have had another winner. I think he may have lacked the killer instinct required to put Woods away. A missed opportunity here and there ultimately made the difference. In ninety rounds of golf, Mediate's ranking improved tremendously.. He jumped a whopping 111 spots, from 158th to 47th on the PGA tour. Not too bad for a weekends work.

To those who don't see what the fuss is all about. It's like being in the dark and someone hits the light switch. I'm not an expert by any means. But now I understand what millions of fans are all excited about. This weekend I became a fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home