Friday, April 04, 2008

Forty Years Later



I have listened intently as the black community has rallied on the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King's assassination. I said the black community, because for everybody else it's basically been business as usual. In all the coverage I've seen or heard on T.V. and radio today. I've only seen or heard seven white people in both venues combined. And two of those people called in on the phone. Not saying they're not concerned, it's just not their top priority. Some people would make you think Martin Luther King was Jesus Christ. All except CNN and the black radio stations have only mentioned this anniversary in passing. It might lead one to believe blacks are focused on different things than everybody else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since when do we celebrate somebody being killed? I also said "rally." Because few people if any, actually addressed the question. What the much publicized gathering turned out to be was a glorified photo-op for some. And a free campaign rally for others. Suggesting that the answer to our problems is electing them to office. The much talked about would-be guest of honor, didn't even show.

It would be both a lie and foolish to say nothing has changed since the sixties. Blacks have made tremendous strides in all measurable areas and quality of life. Look at economics, education, health and even housing. Blacks standing in America has outpaced the improvement of the country as a whole. Some of the incidents that have happened as of late. In my opinion, have set us back at least sixteen years if not more. Not so much physically, as it is mentally for some. It's not very hard to find someone to name a litany of things that are wrong. Yet, not mention one thing in all this great country that is right. In the most moving speech I heard all day. Rev. Ben Hooks said as much, so astutely. Since that really wasn't the message they wanted to convey. Needless to say, they moved on to the next speaker.

The people that are so quick to refer to MLK's legacy. For some reason, are those most likely to be racist. That's not at all what he advocated or even implied. They forget that he spoke about equality not exclusivity. His intent was not to make blacks a permanent underclass. The singer James Brown made a lot of sayings famous in his career. One of my favorites was "I don't want nobody to give me nothing. Open the door I'll get it myself." One thing for sure forty years later. We still like to say it loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home