Monday, June 09, 2008

Cash Is Likely The New King

I wrote a post a week or so ago about the Mayor and his disapproval of the superintendent candidates. I said at that time, he was ego-trippin. His apprehension of having his dominance challenged by another man in charge, was something he hadn't been faced with before. Johnny Watson doesn't count, he was controlled by Sarah Lewis. Mr. Ward is serving on an interim basis. He isn't causing any ripples. He's just holding the job together. The Mayor and the MCS Superintendent are the most influential jobs in the whole city. Every time these two people speak, it makes the news. On last Thursday night Herenton had his worst fears confirmed. When Kriner Cash got the chance to go before the citizens. Just as I figured would happen. It's all over but signing the contract. His public Q&A in effect proved to some of the citizens of Memphis. There is life after Carol Johnson.

In the past couple of days I've heard two of the people responsible for electing the new school superintendent. If I were a betting man, I would put my cash on Kriner Cash. They used words like confidence and swagger. He has even managed to gain the support of some of his most vocal opponents. This guy is a public relations dynamo. He's already shown he can charm the the most resistant. I've never questioned his qualifications, just his commitment to the job. I still think he'll stay here for a few years and go after a bigger position elsewhere. A stint in Memphis opens the door for bigger and better things. It's like the old adage "if you can make it in Chicago, you can make it anywhere." I think that particularly applies to high profile positions for blacks in Memphis.

The cards were stacked against Nicholas Gleidich the other candidate in the running from the start. I mentioned him in my first article, but I'm one of the few who have so far. No one else is even calling his name. He was just included to make this process look legitimate. Any white man short of John Calipari, wouldn't be chosen in Memphis. One of the board members referred to him as "Mister Rogers" in the wrong neighborhood. Today the board decides and we'll see who they pick. They might not pick either one. I don't think that's likely to happen though. For a lack of a better term. I think Cash is likely the new King.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin Oliver said...

He got the job!! I look forward to seeing him in action this year.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Common said...

He got all nine votes.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We now see why Thaddeus suddenly changed his mind. Kriner Cash agreed to come on his show.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home